2018-06-27 / News

Willacy residents advised to report flood damage


Willacy County and city officials are urgently gathering reports of property damage caused by last week’s flooding, Willacy County Emergency Management Coordinator Frank Torres said Tuesday.

It will not be possible for the county to process a disaster declaration without having at least $70,000 in damages to report, Torres said. People who live in incorporated areas, such as Raymondville, Lyford and San Perlita, need report damage to their city hall. Those who live in rural areas can re- port their damages by telephone to the Willacy County Sheriff’s Office.

Eligible damage can be to a home that is a primary residence, not resort property, such as a fishing cabin, hunting cabin or beach house.

The sheriff’s office only needs to know the person’s name, address, telephone number and a basic description of damages directly related to last week’s flooding, Torres said. Only flood damage is eligible. No wind damage, such as roofs, is eligible.

After the information is gathered by the sheriff’s office, the county Emergency Management Office will send someone to assess the damages, Torres said. Once the information about verified damage reports is turned over to the state, a determination will be made as to whether Willacy County will qualify as a disaster area for submission to the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

If Willacy County is granted disaster area status, people will be able to file claims with FEMA, Torres said. The original report of damages is not an application for FEMA compensation.

All phone numbers for reporting damage have a 956 area code. Raymondville City Hall’s number is 689-2443; Lyford City Hall’s number is 347- 3512; San Perlita City Hall’s number is 248-5725; the Willacy County Sheriff’s Office is 689-5576.

Return to top

Click here for digital edition
2018-06-27 digital edition